Thinking about starting up your own urban garden? Or maybe you already have, but you’re looking for some inspiration? The popularity of urban gardening is on the rise, with more and more people becoming interested and dedicated to growing their own produce—no matter the space limitations.
There are some pretty fantastic resources out there that can provide you with the inspiration and motivation you need to get moving, and some of them even provide easy DIY tutorials to make your garden the best it can be. Here are some suggestions for inspiring urban gardening blogs you should take a look at:
- The Urban Organic Gardener: lots of great pictures and creative ideas (especially the container gardening tips)
- Bucoholic Bushwic: rooftop gardening in Brooklyn using self-watering containers
- The Small Garden: a great resource full of pictures and solutions to urban gardening woes
- The Grackle: creatively designed gardens for that artsy itch
- You Grow Girl: working in small spaces, DIY projects, and affordable organic gardening
- BKLYN BKYARD: a Tumblr featuring a Brooklyn backyard garden & DIY projects
- Mapleton-BKLYN: practical advice for edible gardens
These are just a few of the resources out there—just to get you started. There are many, many more blogs, Tumblr accounts, and websites dedicated to urban gardening. Each has a unique focus and approach, such as small space management, creative design, gardening techniques, food handling and storage, seasonal advice, and more.
So, consider your situation and what you would like to see happen with your garden or future garden. Some of these blogs may be more useful than others, and that’s just fine. Use the ones that relate most to Y-O-U. It is your garden, after all.