Now that Thanksgiving has passed, preparations for winter and the rest of the holiday season are in full throttle. Many gardens might not be winter gardens, but that doesn’t mean they can’t still be beautiful. Adding a little magic to your garden is easy and can transform any place into a mystical wonderland.
If you have a little space to work with, why not give it a try? Here are a few tips to get your garden glowing:
- Choose which types of lights to use: Incandescent mini-lights or LED lights. Incandescent lights are cheaper and emit a warm glow, but they can also become hot after long hours of use. LED lights are a little more expensive and put off a bright light, but they last thousands of hours longer than incandescent lights and are about 90% more energy efficient.
- Be sure your lights are specified “outdoor” use lights. Using “indoor” lights outside is risky, as the bulbs and cords aren’t meant to stand up to weather and moisture that’s often present in gardens.
- Plan out your lights first. 100 lights cover about 1½ feet of shrub (wrapped around). You can also purchase blanket lights for quick placement. Do you want stand-alone shapes like reindeer, snowflakes, or angels? These are also available and can spice up your garden even more!
- Make sure you have enough extension cords, an automatic timer for lights, and power stakes to avoid cords running everywhere. You may also need a ladder, hooks/clamps, hand tools, and work gloves for the installation of your garden lights.
- Don’t connect more than three strands together, as this can cause your power source to short out. Start from high ground to make installation go faster and easier.
- Enlist a helper. Putting up lights in the garden can be a fun family event or gathering. Once the lights are up, you can wait for darkness to fall and enjoy a cup of tea or cocoa with those you love.
Winter lights always seem to bring a glow to people’s hearts. Why not have a little of that paradise right in your own garden? If you’re lucky, you can look at your garden and see your own personalized Winter Gardens aGlow